Saturday 31 January 2009

Road Trip

The kids and I went with mum and dad to visit relatives in Corby. I had to travel in the back, squeezed in between two cars seats and dealing with endless demands for food, drink, books, toys, pencils.......I don't travel well in the back of a car at the best of times, but even less so when I'm being asked to read ' That's not my Fairy' or look at pictures of aliens.

We stopped at Birchanger services and my stomach heaved a sigh of relief. The rest of the journey was slightly better after acquiring some sickness travel bands and some murray mints.

We arrived at around midday and headed into town....Corby has the best £1 shop in the world, practically everything you could ever want can be purchased for £1 in there, they also have a brand spanking new Primark...some spending had to be done. I managed to buy three items for myself all for £25.00.

For lunch we went to skanky Corby McDonalds....I was so starving that I would have eaten anywhere. This place had not been refurbished for 20 odd years and was brown and dingy. The kids happy meal contained a mini trivial pursuit....good luck with those questions kids!

After town we went to the cemetery to see nan's headstone that had not long been put up and visited my other nan and great nan's graves. It was freezing so we didn't stay long.

We then visited my grandad and then on to Julie's. James had his hair cut, so that saved £6.50....don't feel so guilty about the Primark purchases now.

We ordered Chinese...the kids and I shared egg fried rice; chicken chow mien, and vegetable spring rolls.

We set off about 8.30 for two-and-a-half-hours of car sickness. luckily the kids fell asleep almost straight away....Kaitlyn is the only child however that can have a strop in her sleep, on the journey she started crying, moaning and kicking her legs, but she was still asleep....she obviously hadn't fitted in enough strops in the day, so had to make up for it at night.

We arrived home at about 11 pm - the kids went straight to bed....James woke up and asked for a story....of course James, just lie there a minute and I'll be back.....2 minutes later he was sound asleep. Of course in the morning he reminded me that I hadn't read him a story the night before.

1 comment:

Ford Family said...

Sounds like a fun day! (?) Kids always remember the things you don't do! Mine are the same! lol