Saturday 22 November 2008

Brrrr!!!!

Winter has arrived. Before I realised this fact, I'd offered to take the kids to the park - Hampton was the park of choice so off we set in the car. James had taken his remote controlled car and Kaitlyn had her pram and dolly. We met Glen at the park, but as soon as I got out of the car I realised I'd made a mistake...ice cold wind quickly seeped through every layer of clothing and my glove less hands were turned to ice.

Not wanting to disappoint the kids, I agreed to stay for 10 minutes...Kaitlyn who is not one for the cold was fine with this, she just wanted to be carried by daddy, James however did not seem to mind the Arctic conditions...he was having fun with the remote controlled car, on it's first outdoor adventure. After 5 minutes I suggested that we go...not yet he replied, okay another 2 minutes I offed. 2 minutes later I repeated my suggestion, by this time my nose was frozen and I had no feeling in my toes...still James was insisting we stay some more. Eventually I had to bribe him with going to nanny's house to get him to leave. We warmed up at my mum's and soon it was time to go into Herne Bay town, mum the kids and I, to see the Christmas lights being turned on - I'd promised the kids they could go as there was due to be a Dalek, Darth Vadar and Dora the explorer.

The event was advertised as starting at 3 pm - we arrived at about 3.30, but apart from a band playing and a few people, it was pretty deserted. It doesn't take a lot to impress James however...he excitedly declared 'it's a rock band!'...he's led a sheltered life, bless him!




We took James for a quick hair cut, met up with Carly, Josh and Dylan - and by this time Darth Vadar, the Dalek and Dora had arrived. James and Josh were so exited about seeing Darth Vadar...I bought James a light sabre ..at the rip off price of £4! and he took on Darth Vadar. Kaitlyn likes Dora - but not enough to get out of the buggy.




The crowds started to build up so we took our place by the side of the stage and it proceeded to get more and more crowded. Naomi also turned up with Heather and Esther. The lights were due to be turned by Emma Barton - Honey from Eastenders - who is playing Snow White in the pantomime at the Marlowe. The publicity photos had shown her in her Snow White costume, so the kids were expecting Snow White to turn of the lights, she however turned up in jeans and a baseball cap...you couldn't hardly see her face...and to the kids she could have been anyone. Anyway lights were turned on, people fought their was out of the crowds and we made our way home.

It was late (well 5.30 - but it felt later), the kids were cold and hungry so we stopped off for some fish and chips that we ate at home. The kids sat in silence whilst they refuelled and defroted. Kaitlyn then went straight to bed, no messing, shortly followed by James. Giving me the evening to myself to watch Xfactor.

2 comments:

Naomi said...

Always check the website. I saw the lights turned on at 5.15 so left at 4.40. http://www.canterbury.co.uk/thedms.asp?dms=12&nd=7

Ford Family said...

Sounds like a fun day- even if it was freezing! I am with you and Kaitlyn- I hate the cold too!