Saturday 15 November 2008

Gobstoppers

I hate dummies - I know it must be tempting to shove a plug in your child's mouth at times, but I just do not like them and have never allowed either of my kids to have one. Kaitlyn however loves them, I remember that as soon as she could roll around as a baby she would try to acquire one out of some other child's mouth. She would even resort to dolls dummies and bottle teats.

On Friday she had friends over to play, one of whom has dummy. When dropping Ruby off to her mum, her dummy which had been in her change bag was missing, I assumed that had gotten left at playgroup and thought no more of it - until I got home and found Kaitlyn in her car seat with a dummy stuck in her gob.

Through all the business of getting in the house, getting sorted, getting dinner done, Kaitlyn managed to keep hold of the dummy (yes i know it was my laziness for not dealing with it then and there - but sometimes the easy life option wins). I was also trying to get ready to go out and Glen was coming over to have the kids - when i got back they were asleep - hurrah!

Anyway, this morning I was woken by by questions about 'tummy?', 'tommy?' ...what are you saying Kaitlyn? i asked ...she realised i was no help and went off, only to return with the 'dummy' firmly wedged in her mouth. 'Get it out' I commanded, 'no' she replied...running off. In no mood first thing in the morning to get out of bed, let alone chase around a small child, I sunk back under the duvet - glad of another five minutes peace. The dummy served it's purpose all morning - keeping her quiet whilst I got them both ready, out the door, etc etc. By the afternoon however I had finally had enough, she's at the age when most children are giving up dummies, not starting on them. Taking it from her and hiding it I informed her that a bird had taken it back to Ruby (lame i know, but it's the first thing that came to mind), Kaitlyn was not falling for that...she started checking my pockets and throwing a strop. I had to see it thorough though or it would never end. She eventually seemed to get over it until another day I'm sure.

2 comments:

Naomi said...

This is veru funny. Kaitlyn power!

Ford Family said...

Hey, hope you don't mind- just found your blog through Naomi's. I will email you an invitation to read mine- I know I took your address, then didn't get round to it. Sorry! Love the dummy story! Sam