Wednesday 19 November 2008

Mornings

I don't know if I'm the only one whose kids can be truly horrible in the morning. You would have thought that after 11 hours sleep they would be happy and smiling...not my two. This morning was a particularly hideous example. I was awoken by the sound of crying and arguing...it turned out to be about books....James did not want Kaitlyn to take the books, she had other ideas. This resulted in a fight irrupting - James, armed with a foam sword, was pursuing Kaitlyn as she came running into my room. After confiscating the sword and listening to 2 versions of why the other party was in the wrong, I tried to mediate and then move on. Tears, moaning, and arguing continued. 'Maybe they're just hungry' I thought and proceeded to sort out breakfast ...despite a few moans about wanting cheese spread instead of jam on toast; juice instead of water; and not weetabix but shreddies...no actually I'll have both - this part of the morning was ok.

The fuss began with Kaitlyn not wanting to get dressed ...'me no like it t-shirt' - the options were limited due to the ever mounting pile of dirty washing - so the t-shirt was forced over her head...'me no like it t-shirt!!!!' x 100 on repeat like a broken record. Trousers on, shoes on, teeth cleaned...done!

Next to James ...'I don't want to wear a jumper' - tough it's cold, 'my trousers are cold' - they'll be ok in a minute, 'I don't want to go to school' - well you're going. Patience wearing very thin by this time.

Back to Kaitlyn - who had sneaked back up stairs and was by this time half naked. Screaming irrupted as I redressed her and took her down stairs.

James then had to be made to clean his teeth despite cries of 'I don't like this toothpaste waaagggh!'. By this time Kaitlyn was back upstairs trying to get undressed again. Redressed her, carried her out to the car - no shoes or coat, strapped her in, shut the door ...and for just a few moments enjoyed not hearing her whingeing.

Now to get James in to the car -'I'm not going' he insists...''yes you are' I reply and guide him out of the door...him still wailing..into car, drop him off, one down one to go.

She moans all the way to nursery, but once arrives runs in happily. Leave her to go to work and fully appreciate the fact that I can no longer hear cries, screams and moans...a truly stressful morning and the day had hardly begun.

1 comment:

Ford Family said...

Hope you got the invite and you're able to read my blog- I got told off my naomi, so I'm sorry for not sending it sooner- I have thought about it several times since seeing you- but never actually got around to sitting down and doing it. I often have mornings like this- the number of times Tom's gone to school in his PJs under his coat! I find mornings very stressful too!