Tuesday 2 December 2008

Managing Absence ...who cares?

A while ago at work I took on the task of writing a 'managing sickness absence' policy. You may think it strange that an organisation as large as the University didn't have such a policy already, but if you worked there it would understand.

Anyway after writing the policy and procedure documents and having to jump through several bureaucratic hoops to get it approved, the time has finally come to roll it out across the university. Tomorrow I start the briefing sessions with managers to guide them through the process and answer any questions they may have. I am appeasing them with a 'working lunch' of sandwiches and crisps...but feel it won't be enough.....I'm expecting moans, whinges and gripes as the poor overburdened managers are asked to take on something additional..like actually managing their staff. Of course HR are so removed from the reality of the departments....actually believing that costs can be reduced, performance improved and productivity increased, all through following a few simple rules...how very dare we suggest such things. I really should not have bothered!

4 comments:

Naomi said...

For a moment there I actually visioned you doing some work. Proper important role stuff but I swiftly resumed your normal opinion I have of you which is a woman who likes to check Facebook a lot.

Ford Family said...

I think Naomis comment is very rude- I would not let her get away with that!

Jo Bembridge said...

Occasionally I have to do some real work to hide the fact that I usually sepend all day on facebook!


Disclaimer: This is a joke (for the purpose of any disciplinary action that may be taken against those who excessivly use facebook at work)

Naomi said...

haha. Very wise to cover your tracks.